Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bala (or working by the lake)

So last weekend we had planned to go to the Midland Country Fair as a family, but things changed and for various reasons we decided to head to Bala instead. Cassius is a water child, he loves being in or around or on-top-of water, and Gary and I had been meaning to take him to Bala in North Wales for quite some time. So early (ish) on Saturday morning we packed a picnic, ourselves and the dog into the car and headed off.

Now, I do not like the water. I am a terrible swimmer, and I don't like to get wet. I like looking at water, and have been known to paddle now and then. But I had no intention of getting in a Canoe. So I packed my laptop and some work, thinking that there are worse places in the world to work than by the side of the lake in Bala.

When we arrived it was warm but overcast and hazy. Since I'd also packed my camera I took some pictures of the lakeside.




 The boys headed off to sort out Canoe hire and life vests.....





 And then headed down to the water with their chosen vessel.....



 Meanwhile, I set up my outdoor "desk" with Luke to keep me company.....


I had a very productive hour or so, sat in the fresh air, with the sounds of people enjoying themselves. I know it probably makes me seem even more of a geek, but sitting there working on my "science stuff" I found my bliss. 

When I'd finished what I was working on, I managed to catch some pictures of the boys in their boat. 





Notice how Cassius is doing all of the "over-seeing" and none of the rowing! ;)

When the hour rental was up, Gary brought the Canoe back, I packed up my work stuff, and we set up the picnic blanket right by the lake. Considering this was a nice, if overcast day, and by that time it was early afternoon, the number of people by the lake wasn't too bad. There was plenty of space.

After rescuing Luke from Cassius almost drowning him (long story), Gary and I settled down on the blanket and Cas played in the water. First with some new friends.....




And then on his own.......



All of that must have tired him out, because for the first time in years, he fell asleep in the car on the way home!

All in all, it was a great day and I think we'll be spending more time by the lake in Bala soon.

C
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment